Tuesday, November 24, 2009

old family photos


i recently acquired this beautiful photograph of my maternal grandmother as a young girl. it was given to me by my mother, who got it from her older sister. this photograph was taken in miskolc, hungary, before my grandmother emigrated, as a teenager, to the united states via ellis island. my mother is unable to identify the little girl with her.


i recently obtained this photograph of my maternal grandfather, too. he is the one who is seated on the left. this photo was taken in new york city, and, once again, my mother can't identify the other person in the photograph.

it's a little hard for me to grasp the fact that these photographs, as old as they are, depict relatives who are only separated from me by a single generation. both of my parents were the youngest children in their families (and my fathers family was very large indeed), so both of them were born when their mothers were older (nearing 40 in each case, i believe). and though i am an only child, my mother was herself approaching 40 when i was born. so i guess, in my family, generations take a little longer to, well, generate.


60 years ago today my parents (pictured above) were married--november 24, 1949. it's been 20 years since my father passed away, but the anniversary of this occasion still seems worth commemorating somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment